Created and Performed by James Smith
Last Summer’s Sold-Out Hit Returns for 10 Exclusive Performances
**WINNER – 2016 SummerWorks Festival PRIZE FOR PRODUCTION**
In Lessons in Temperament, James Smith tunes pianos in various public and private spaces throughout Toronto while exploring the concept of equal temperament as well as his three older brothers’ mental illnesses: obsessive compulsive disorder, autism, and schizophrenia. Smith attempts to grant balance to the instrument that has both kept him grounded and kept him company throughout his life.
Part memoir, part performance art, part tune-up, this site-specific show offers a unique theatrical experience, and a singular glimpse into the lives of those living with strange, beautiful, distempered minds.
10 Secret Locations in Downtown Toronto
intimate, deeply felt and poignant… wise and heartfelt lessons for us all.
Do yourself a favour and experience this show.
Mitchell Cushman has once again directed a fascinating site-specific show with nuance and sensitivity
- James Smith – Creator and Performer
- Mitchell Cushman – Director and Developer
- Nick Blais – Production Design
- Nevada Banks – Associate Director
- Kate Sandeson – Stage Manager
- Michelle Yagi & Katherine Devlin Rosenfeld – Producers
- Sarite Harris – Producer (SummerWorks run)
- Imran Zaidi – Photography and Graphic Design
Awards & Accolades
- Prize for Production – The SummerWorks Festival (2016)
- Prize for Direction (Honourable Mention), Mitchell Cushman – The SummerWorks Festival (2016)
- Outstanding Production – NOW Magazine (SummerWorks, 2016)
- Outstanding New Play – NOW Magazine (SummerWorks, 2016)
- Outstanding Direction – NOW Magazine (SummerWorks, 2016)
- SummerWorks Highlight – Torontoist (2016)